Beware of Potted Daffodils, Tulips and Lilies and Pets!

March 30, 2018
Potted tulips

‘Tis the season to buy potted blooming bulbs for inside the house to decorate for Easter or to just celebrate the coming of spring. The most common are daffodils, tulips or lilies which may be planted outside once the foliage has died back or stored in a cool dry environment and planted in the fall. All are considered members of the Liliaceae family and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, excessive salivation and death in cats following ingestion of any plant parts. Exposure to daffodils and tulips can similar signs in dogs. However, only mild gastrointestinal signs are reported in dogs ingesting lilies. Cats are the most at risk due to their relative low body weight, their jumping ability to get to high places basically anywhere in the house and curiosity which results in chewing (ingesting) indoor plants, especially new plants brought into the house.

Source: Dr. D. Gerken, veterinary toxicologist and Fairfield County Master Gardener Volunteer

 

County: